Thursday, November 6, 2008

Best Of


What an exciting past month this has been for me! My good friend, Carrington Fox contacted me in late September and asked if I was still doing cakes as she wanted to put my name in for Best Of. I told her yes but then didn't give it a second thought. A week later the art director of the Nashville Scene contacted me and said they wanted me to come in for a photo shoot with a cake related to their theme this year since I had won my category of Best Of for Kids Birthday-Cakes. I was blown away!! Of corse he called while I was just about to serve my eight, three year olds morning snack! I laughed and asked what the qualifications were to win and explained that I am a teacher by day and baker by night.
A week later I went in with my Matisse themed cake. Needless to say, they really liked it, and I am sure the chocolate peanutbutter cupcakes I took with me for the staff didn't hurt either. I believe the people at the Scene were expecting a sheet cake of some sort with maybe some piping but when I arrived I quickly explained that I don't really do those kind of cakes. A week later I picked up my copy of the paper and was quickly scanning to find my 1x1'' picture. When I arrived at page 96 and discovered that they had donated a whole page to me I started screaming in my car! I got on the phone and called everyone I knew. I recieved my certificate and was contemplating purchaing a banner to hang over my front door! A dear friend of mine posted a very sweet comment online about my write-up and to my surprise they posted his comment and another large picture of my cake in Scene the following week!

It is amazing how God has blessed me with talents that were beyond my imagination! He has placed amazing people in my life and I am so glad I have been able to share a bit of my heart and kitchen with all of them! Thank you Carrington for believing in me and thanks to my many friends and family who have supported me on this wild journey! I hope to outgrow my kitchen soon and set up a sugar shop in the near future.


0 comments: